At one time, mullets, high-waisted jeans, cowboy boots and cowboy hats were the go-to uniform for country stars, much like undercuts, skinny jeans, combat boots and flat bills are the uniform for today’s male country stars.
Fortunately, styles changes, but we had to tip our scissors to these country stars, who made incredible transformations with their tresses but stayed true to their musical styles and are still relevant and, can we say, super hot? They deserve trophies!
1. In the category of “who said this was a good idea,” the winner is: Tim McGraw
Maybe it’s just because he looks so incredibly hot now that this insane mullet suffers in comparison, but dang! It’s hard to tell if Tim is wearing the hair or the hair is wearing him. He is definitely like fine wine – better with age.
2. In the all-or-nothing category, the winner is: Kenny Chesney
Can well all join for a collective “awwwww?” Kenny was just precious as a newbie in the business in his mid-20s, and his mullet was mild. This is a bold contrast to how he wears his hair now, which is non-existent!
3. For the most gradual evolution of a mullet, the winner is: Alan Jackson
Seriously? If Alan Jackson was still sporting these long, luscious curls, he’d still be just as steamy hot. Actually, those blonde ringlets are still there, only shorter. Hot.
4. For the best collective effort by a band with all members sporting mullets: Diamond Rio
Who knew that mullets could come in so many different shapes and sizes, but here’s Diamond Rio. Five band members, five uniquely different mullets.
5. For the most dramatic mullet-to-magnificent transformation, the winner is: Blake Shelton
You almost can’t call this a mullet since a traditional mullet is business in the front, party in the back, but this “do” defies classification, so it deserves the win just for that. Blake is also the youngest artist on our list to hit the stage with a mullet.
6. Drum roll, please! Our Mullet Lifetime Achievement Award goes to: Billy Ray Cyrus
It’s uncertain as to whether anyone in country music paid much attention to mullets until Billy Ray came along with the most iconic mullet ever. And recently, he has been sporting a variation of it. Guess what? Yeah, he looks hot.